Easy Chocolate Rocky Road
Close your eyes, now imagine the perfect Holiday treat, now open your eyes and keep reading, cos I’m about to give you the full gist of the epically simple and absolutely decadent Easy Chocolate Rocky Road. This chocolate treat makes for great holiday gifts wrapped up and tied with a dainty bow. Why spend a ton buying food gifts when you can make this and sneak a couple of bites yourself (although I’m not really sure it counts as sneaking when you’re the one making it)? Lol!
Growing up, rocky roads were usually expensive, so it was a treat I only had every once in a while. When I found out I could make it myself, it was over for me with the pricey coffee shops … the only reason I don’t make this as often is because its probably not good for me to eat chocolate everyday, you know… I mean what with my health and figure and all that stuff….lol. This recipe is very flexible; there are no hard rules as to what you have to put in this treat, you can add different types of nuts or omit the nuts, add dried fruits, add different types of cookies… For this one I shared, I chose my favorite nik naks. Just a side note, you probably don’t want to add hard candies, skittles or even gummy candy to this bar, it might make it a bit difficult to eat..and even harder to get out of your teeth.
- 30 oz baking chocolate (I used baking chocolate chips)
- 3 cups marshmallows
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes (I used the bigger flakes)
- 1½ cups broken shortbread cookie pieces
- 1 cup salted shelled pistachios
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave (if using a microwave, melt in 10 second bursts).
- Toss in the coconut flakes, shortbread cookies, pistachios and marshmallow in the melted chocolate until it is completely covered in the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate mixture in a deep casserole dish (I used an 8x8 pan) lined with wax paper and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hrs.
- To cut the chocolate, run a chef's knife in hot water for about 20 seconds to warm the knife, wipe the knife so it is not wet, then cut the chocolate into 8 pieces.
- Wrap each piece in wax paper and share!
While the bars are setting in the refrigerator, have a sit and lick the bowl of melted chocolate like me, or wash it off… whatever you choose. Enjoy!