This crab fried rice dish with coconut milk was honestly born from me giving in to my totally random cravings; you know, those weird ones that show up and suddenly have you wanting to eat some beef, goat, hippopotamus, or…well…you know…crab. At the time, I was hankering for some serious crab so I threw a couple of ingredients I had laying around and out popped this beauty. This dish has a very funny tendency of disappearing in a flash once placed in front of people, luckily I made quite a generous helping. After making this dish for a friend I’ve had multiple requests for it, so I decided I’d initiate the crabocalypse and infect you all. What makes this dish particularly delightful is how quick and easy it is to prepare since I am usually able to rustle this up for lunch or dinner in about 20 minutes. Your friends and family are sure to love the savory sweet combination of flavors that are sure to keep them coming back for more!
Ingredient Highlights and Tips
Uncooked jasmine rice: I used this because jasmine rice features quite frequently in thai cuisine which was the inspiration behind this recipe. Feel free to use parboiled rice as a substitute.
A can of coconut milk: As much as I used store bought coconut milk in this recipe, I highly recommend using homemade coconut milk as often as you can! After trying it, I’ve been positively amazed at the fresh taste and richer flavor!
Crab meat: I usually get my crab meat fresh from Asian stores and markets where I buy mine live. You can also find fresh crab meat in a can anywhere seafood is sold.
Coconut oil: I used this to emphasize the coconut flavor in this recipe. Flavorless oils like canola will also do in a pinch.
How to Prepare
Parboil the jasmine rice until it is almost done (it should be have only a slight bite to it), drain and set aside.
In a separate saucepan, saute onions, garlic, and habanero peppers in coconut oil on low-medium heat for 5 minutes (make sure the garlic does not burn).
In the saute, pour coconut milk, salt, and bouillon cube and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Add rice and crab meat, cover the pan, and cook for 5 minutes until the coconut milk is absorbed into the rice fully, and the rice is soft.
Adjust salt if necessary, serve hot with some lime wedges (if you please).
Please be sure to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you enjoyed this recipe! Also while you’re here why not take a quick second and subscribe to my newsletter to get email notifications on new recipes, click the links to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST or INSTAGRAM? You can catch some behind the scenes action, my shopping hauls, personalized tips and friend-only recipes with videos on my Instagram. Also pin this recipe for later and explore some of my favorite recipes on Pinterest and if you love it as much as I know you will, SHARE with some friends!
Crab Fried Rice with Coconut MIlk Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 13.5 oz coconut milk 1 can
- 10 oz crab meat fresh is best
- 1/2 a medium red onion roughly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 habanero pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bouillon cube I used vegetable bouillon but any flavor is fine
- 2 tsp salt
- Per- boil rice until it is almost done (it should be have only a slight bite to it), drain and set aside.
- In a separate sauce pan, saute onions, garlic, and habanero pepper in coconut oil on low-medium heat for 5 minutes (make sure the garlic does not burn).
- In the saute, pour coconut milk, salt, and bouillon cube and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add rice and crab meat, cover the pan, and cook for 5 minutes until the coconut milk is absorbed into the rice fully, and the rice is soft.
- Adjust salt if necessary, serve hot with some lime wedges(if you please).