So if you have seen some of my earlier posts, you would know I really enjoy cooking with seafood; I could eat fish all day if I had the chance to. Well, for those who love seafood as much as I do, this spicy peri peri prawns recipe is going to be one of your favorite recipes for prawns ever.
Peri Peri or piri piri sauce is a pepper sauce that is popular in the southern part of Africa. Its commonly used as a marinade for protein, but sometimes I use it as a hot sauce. As a lover of spicy food myself, I make my peri peri sauce quite spicy, but the heat level is totally adjustable. I served my peri peri prawns with a Moroccan inspired rice salad (recipe coming soon), that was pretty mild, so the heat balanced out.
Thanks to my friends Joyce and Anne who helped me eat these prawns; if I was left alone, I would have eaten it all by myself, and that is definitely not healthy. So what’s your favorite way to eat prawns? Also do you think prawns and shrimp are the same thing?
Spicy Peri Peri Prawns
- 1 red bell pepper
- 6 red birds eye chillis adjust to suite your preferred heat level
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pound of cleaned shell on tiger prawns
- Lightly char the red bell pepper on an open flame, or under a broiler; place in a brown paper bag or in a sealed container to soften, then rinse off the charred skin under running water.
- Roast garlic in a 300F oven with about 1/2 a tsp of olive oil for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend red bell peppers, chilli, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, and salt. I like my peri peri sauce slightly chunky, but you may blend until its smooth.
- With about 1/2 a cup of the peri peri sauce, marinade the the prawns in a closed container in a refrigerator for at least 1 hr or over night.
- Allow the prawns to come to room temperature for about 1 hr before cooking.
- In a hot skillet, sear one side of the prawns and allow to cook for 5 minutes. turn over, and cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with a suitable side dish or on its own with some extra peri peri sauce on the side.
Please be sure to rate this peri peri prawns recipe and leave a comment below if you tried it! Also while you’re here why not take a quick second and subscribe to my newsletter to get email notifications on new recipes, click the links to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST or INSTAGRAM? You can catch some behind the scenes action, my shopping hauls, personalized tips and friend-only recipes with videos on my Instagram. Also pin this recipe for later and explore some of my favorite recipes on Pinterest and if you love it as much as I know you will, SHARE with some friends!