One of the biggest achievements of vegan week in the yummy medley kitchen was learning how to cook a variety of veggies deliciously, but honestly, one of our biggest recipe hits, was this vegan lemon poppy seed loaf cake. I have always loved loaf cakes, but it has been quite the chore to replicate them without eggs in general since I do not eat eggs. Well, this time around, my recipe worked and produced this delicious vegan lemon poppy seed loaf which were so good they were quite the hit with many of my friends who were unable to tell them apart from usual lemon cakes.
I have been sleeping on applesauce as an alternative to eggs in baking lately, but I decided to try it this time around, and it was the secret to this delicious achievement. There are a few vegan baking skills I have always had up my sleeve because I do not eat or bake with eggs, and I am usually successful when I try all of them, however, baking loaf cakes have been a challenge for me. Getting the tight yet moist texture is very challenging without eggs, and since I was eating completely plant based the week that I came up with this recipe, I could not use yogurt or buttermilk like I tend to. Thank God for the random apple sauce I had in my pantry that reminded me of this trick because I believe it achieved my vegan baking dreams.
I “tested” (a.k.a. made up an excuse to keep baking and indulging) this vegan lemon poppy seed loaf recipe about four times that week, so trust me when I say it is more or less foolproof. I am going to stop bragging about this recipe and let you guys try it out for yourself. You will love it!
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
- 350 g/ 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Zest from 1 lemon
- For the Glaze
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk; the flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, almond milk, coconut oil, apple sauce, 2 tbsp lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon extract.
- Create a well in the bowl with the flour mixture, pour in the liquid mixture and mix until it is just combined. Do not over mix!
- Pour the lemon cake batter into the prepped loaf pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 50- 55 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan.
- While the cake is cooking in the pan, pour 1 tsp lemon juice into the 3 tbsp of powdered sugar. This will be the glaze for the loaf cake.
- While the cake is still warm but out of the pan, glaze with the lemon and icing sugar glaze.
- Allow the cake to cool completely for 20 minutes then serve.
Let me know if you tried it! Also feel free to try out my other delicious vegan plantain bread recipe.