For the fourth of July celebrations, my family and I are going to be at our friend’s house for an all-day celebration and there will be lots of food. Anyone who knows Africans know that whenever we get together with lots of food, you can expect quite the variety of delicious dishes. I decided that instead of bringing the typical jollof rice or some type of spicy meat dish, I wanted to bring something theme appropriate to fourth of July. I decided I would celebrate the beloved red white and blue by fusing hibiscus tea with coconut milk, strawberries and blueberries to create this amazing popsicle dessert. As you can tell from the title, the name I came up with for my homemade mixed berry coconut milk hibiscus popsicles (try saying that 5 times fast) is quite the mouthful, but it is no less an amazingly tasty and refreshing vegan dessert! These popsicles are very simple, but are quite impressive and since they’re vegan, sugar-free and healthy, you should have no qualms about helping yourselves to multiple helpings without bloat or guilt.
I made these mixed berry coconut milk hibiscus popsicles with real fruit and a minimal amount of sugar, because I wanted to ensure that everything in it was as close to natural tasting as possible. You can increase the sweetness of the hibiscus tea and coconut milk but everyone, both young and old will be sure to love the sophisticated flavors behind this popsicle (In an African party where this was served, it was quite the hit with the old folk, and that’s saying something)! When they ask if you made this yourself, you can just smile and say, “yes… from scratch”. If you do not have a popsicle mold, simply make your hibiscus popsicles in a paper cup and they will come out just fine. Double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make as many as you like as well.
Please be sure to rate my hibiscus popsicles recipe and leave a comment below if you tried it! Also while you’re here why not take a quick second and subscribe to my newsletter to get email notifications on new recipes, click the links to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST or INSTAGRAM? You can catch some behind the scenes action, my shopping hauls, personalized tips and friend-only recipes with videos on my Instagram. Also pin this recipe for later and explore some of my favorite recipes on Pinterest and if you love it as much as I know you will, SHARE with some friends!
Homemade Mixed Berry Coconut Milk Hibiscus Popsicles
- 1 cup prepared zobo or hibiscus tea sweetened to your taste
- 1/ 2 cup straw berries
- 1 cup coconut milk from a box not from a can
- 1/2 cup blue berries.
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Mix the sugar and the coconut milk until the sugar is dissolved and set aside.
- In the popsicle mold, gently place the blue berries half way into each mold, and pour the coconut milk half way as well.
- Place the mold in the freezer for at least four hours to freeze.
- After four hours, while the coconut milk and blue berry part of the popsicle is still in the freezer, blend your zobo or hibiscus tea with the strawberries.
- Pour the zobo/ hibiscus strawberry mix to fill up the other half of the popsicle mold. At the his point, you should place your popsicle sticks into your molds.
- Freeze for another 4 hour or over night.
- To unmold the popsicles, simply run the outside of the mold under hot water for 15 seconds, and pull out the popsicles gently from the mold.
- You can serve them immediately, or place in a small plastic zip bag and put in the freezer to serve later.
If you are looking for another delicious refreshing zobo recipe, why not check out my hibiscus iced tea recipe? You can also try out my awesome Ginger Spiked Pineapple juice recipe or take a look at a local favorite: Nigeria’s Favorite Mocktail: Chapman?