In the midst of the summer heat , cool off with this creamy Pineapple Coconut Granita! This icy summer treat is a refreshing substitute to high calorie ice creams that is a perfect fit for weight watchers. Instead of the usual sugary ice pop or the high fat ice cream, this tasty dessert offers the satisfaction of a summer frozen treat without the guilt of scary nutritional facts.
Angostura bitters are a herbal extract normally used in tropical drinks, cocktails and mocktails like chapman drink. These bitters add a sophisticated edge to the sweetness of this dessert. While you can have it as is , I like to add a dash of lime to mine and a lot for my husband since he tends to like his ice cream with a bit of citrus zing. This coconut granita is easy to make and will save you a cheat trip to the store. Enjoy and let me know how you liked it!
I got the coconut milk I used for this recipe from the store but I actually recommend using homemade coconut milk if you want a better (in my humble opinion), richer coconut taste! Go ahead and check out my tips for the best homemade coconut milk from fresh coconut!
Pineapple Coconut Granita
- 2 cups of chopped pineapples
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 5-6 dashes of angostura bitters
- Splash of lime optional
- Blend chopped pineapples, coconut milk, banana, and angostura bitters in a blender until smooth.
- Pour blended granita in a glass/ casserole dish, and place in the freezer.
- After 30 minutes, stir the granita with a fork, making sure to mix in the and break up the frozen bits with the liquid.
- Freeze for 4 -5 hrs in total, stiring every 30 minutes.
- After about 4 hours granita should be fluffy and slightly creamy (due to the coconut milk and banana).
- Serve with a splash of lime if you please.