Vegan Chocolate Chip Rock Cakes (Rock Buns)
Before I jump into this recipe, some of you might ask… “What are Rock Cakes?” I got the same question from my co-wokers when I brought these treats to my office, Christmas potluck. They are like a British/ Jamaican cross between a cookie and a cake. Traditionally, rock cakes or rock buns, are a baked cake-cookie treat that are made with coconut and raisins/ currants. The “rock” in the name comes from the slightly crunchy texture on the outside of the cake, further enhanced by the coconut. These chocolate chip rock cakes preserves everything in the original but the currants and enhances the delicious taste without even using dairy or eggs!
As you may know already if you have seen any of the desserts on by blog, I do not bake with eggs. It was therefore an easy decision then to make these vegan, because I just swapped out the butter typically used in this recipe with vegan butter. To break tradition as even more, I swapped out the raisins/ currants typically used in this recipe for chocolate chips to make them even more tempting.
By the way, I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe that happened to be vegan, but if you do not mind the dairy, you can used milk chocolate chips.
This is a favorite quick treat I whip up to impress my family and friends, and I am sure it will become a quick favorite of yours as well.
P.S. It does not taste vegan…
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 414
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated fat: 14.2 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Sugar: 20.6 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- 2 cups (300 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 (70 g) cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 stick (0.5 cups) vegan butter (room temperature)
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp coconut milk (canned coconut milk, not boxed)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C, Gas mark 4)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut flakes, baking powder, and salt. Mix these dry ingredients, then rub in the room temperature vegan butter so the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Toss in the chocolate chips in with the mixture. Form a well in the middle of the mixture, pour in the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Fold the dry mixture with the wet with a spatula until a dough is formed.
- Using an ice cream scoop/ spoon, portion the dough evenly unto a lined baking sheet. I used an ice cream, and it yielded exactly 10 cakes. Depending on the size of your scoop, you may get more or less servings.
- Bake the cakes in the oven for 12-15 mins
- Cool for 5 minutes then serve.
Let me know if you tried this recipe out! Oh and if you would like to check out another chocolate treat, why not take a look at my out my Easy Chocolate Rocky Road recipe?